I believe people are the experts of their own lives--even kids and teens. Through coaching, I take the frustration out of learning and equip students with skills for independent and responsible living. In my personal life, I love playing soccer; watching/performing improv and stand-up comedy; rocking out to Ben Folds' piano rock; rollerskating; and anything having to do with Mister Rogers.
Why Choose Me
My purpose is to help families with academics, logistics, and organization so that they are able to focus on what's important--enjoying life with their student. I'm passionate about making learning fun and have seen the growth of students when they are empowered to live independently capable lives. I create lasting change by working with families to provide structure and support to deliver a highly-rewarding experience. By using proven techniques and strategies, I can help students anticipate needs and reduce barriers--proactive rather than reactive. Together, we can make a real difference.
Students - Maybe school is teaching you WHAT to learn, but not HOW to learn; maybe you need help getting organized so you can improve your grades; maybe you need some concrete study skills so your test scores can make you more competitive; maybe you need a safe space to come talk about things that are happening at school and brainstorm solutions to problems; maybe you need to learn how to gain skills for independence (like finding a job or managing your money)--whatever the reason, I'm here for you!
Parents - Maybe you are tired of fighting over homework; maybe you are exhausted trying to keep up with your kid's schedule; maybe the college process has you stressed out; maybe you want your child to have every opportunity for success, but are unsure how to get them there--whatever the reason, I'm here to help!
What sets ME apart
I have diverse experience with all types of students (different ages, gifted to special needs, community college to elite universities) and I love kids/teens/college students and use creativity to inspire excitement around learning. As a coach first, I work with the student as an equal to determine a course of action. From there, I am able to combine being a mentor, consultant, tutor, teacher, partner, and problem solver into one package--Success Coaching. As an experienced professional, I have worked with hundreds of students in a variety of settings.
Your student will be given individual exercises and activities to determine where their strengths and deficits lie. Then, taking a strengths-based approach, together we will determine tangible tasks that align with their goals to create personalized educational plans. I have a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends and can meet at local schools, libraries, coffee shops, or even over Skype.
Education & Experience
- Over twenty years of experience with children, teens, and college students
- Five years working in a Higher Education setting and over ten years working with elite universities, honors programs, and Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
- Middle School Math and Special Education Teacher in the Teach for America program
- International Coach Federation (ICF) certified coach specializing in Student Empowerment and Coaching Children, Teens, and College Students with ADHD.
- Master's degree in Higher Education. Inducted into Chi Sigma Alpha honor society. Also obtained two graduate-level certificates in Student Affairs and Campus Crisis Management
- Math, Science and Reading tutor
- First-generation college student who received a full-ride scholarship to a highly-competitive institution
- Extensive experience as a Nanny/Governess
- Director of a Seattle summer camp for 300 children including all programming, logisitics, and even an overnight stay
- Credentialed, licensed, certified, insured, fingerprinted, with clean federal background check and driving record