I believe people are the experts of their own lives--even kids and teens. Through coaching, I take the frustration out of learning and equip students with skills for independent and responsible living. In my personal life, I love playing soccer; watching/performing improv and stand-up comedy; rocking out to Ben Folds' piano rock; rollerskating; and anything Mister Rogers.
Why Choose Me
My purpose is to help families with academics, logistics, and organization so that they are able to focus on what's important--enjoying life with their student. I'm passionate about making learning fun and have seen the growth of students when they are empowered to live independently capable lives. I create lasting change by working with families to provide structure and support to deliver a highly-rewarding experience. By using proven techniques and strategies, I can help students anticipate needs and reduce barriers--proactive rather than reactive. Together, we can make a real difference.
Parents - Maybe you are tired of fighting over homework; maybe you are exhausted trying to keep up with your kid's schedule; maybe the college process has you stressed out; maybe you want your child to have every opportunity for success, but are unsure how to get them there--whatever the reason, I'm here to help!
Students - Maybe you need help getting organized so you can improve your grades; maybe you need some concrete study skills so your test scores can make you more competitive; maybe you need a safe space to come talk about things that are happening at school and brainstorm solutions to problems; maybe you need to learn how to gain skills for independence (like finding a job or managing your money)--whatever the reason, I'm here for you!
What sets ME apart
I have diverse experience with all types of students (different ages, gifted to special needs, community college to elite universities) and I love kids/teens/college students and use creativity to inspire excitement around learning. As a coach first, I work with the student as an equal to determine a course of action. From there, I am able to combine being a mentor, consultant, tutor, teacher, partner, and problem solver into one package--Success Coaching. As an experienced professional, I have worked with hundreds of students in a variety of settings.
Your student will be given individual exercises and activities to determine where their strengths and deficits lie. Then, taking a strengths-based approach, together we will determine tangible tasks that align with their goals to create personalized educational plans. I have a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends and can meet at local schools, libraries, coffee shops, or even over Skype.
Education & Experience
- Over twenty years of experience with children, teens, and college students
- Five years working in a Higher Education setting and ten years working with elite universities, honors programs, and Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
- Middle School Math and Special Education Teacher in the Teach for America program
- International Coach Federation (ICF) certified coach specializing in Student Empowerment and Coaching Children, Teens, and College Students with ADHD.
- Master's degree in Higher Education. Inducted into Chi Sigma Alpha honor society. Also obtained two graduate-level certificates in Student Affairs and Campus Crisis Management
- Math, Science and Reading tutor
- First-generation college student who received a full-ride scholarship to a highly-competitive institution
- Extensive experience as a Nanny/Governess
- Director of a Seattle summer camp for 300 children including all programming, logisitics, and even an overnight stay
- Credentialed, licensed, certified, insured, fingerprinted, with clean federal background check and driving record